In this section you’ll find a range of resources relevant to the whole Tasmanian community, from physical activity merchandise and information resources to a brochure on the top 60 great short walks in Tasmania. If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please contact us for further information.
- 10,000 steps – 10,000 steps is a free health promotion program that encourages the use of step-counting pedometers to monitor your daily physical activity levels.
- Heart Foundation Walking - Heart Foundation Walking is a fun, social and easy way to be active and best of all it's free. It is Australia’s largest network of community-based walking
groups. Visit this site to find a local walking group near you.
- 60 Great Short Walks – this website and associated brochure is produced by Parks and Wildlife Service Tasmania. It lists Tasmania’s best short walks ranging from easy to challenging full-day walks.
- Find an Exercise Physiologist - Exercise Physiologists (EP's) are university qualified allied health professionals who specialise in the delivery of exercise, lifestyle and behavioural modification programs for the prevention and management of chronic diseases and injuries. EP's who are accredited with national body Exercise and Sport Science Australia (ESSA) are eligible to register with Medicare Australia, the Department of Veterans' Affairs, WorkCover and have recognition among a number of health insurers. This website provides further information on Exercise Physiologists and enables you to search for one near you.
- Find a fitness provider - across Tasmania, there are 30 businesses and over 280 exercise professionals registered with Fitness Australia, providing fitness advice and services to Tasmanians seeking a healthier lifestyle. This site can help you find an exercise professional working in outdoor and community settings, homes and workplaces, as well as the more traditional gyms and training studios.
- Glossary of terms (PDF)
- Healthdirect – this service is a free health information and advice line for Tasmanians. It’s a free telephone service that operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Hydration (PDF) - This article details the importance and dangers of hydration when exercising.
Physical activity guidelines:
- Physical activity newsletters - There are several physical activity newsletters which are free to subscribe to including; the Actively in Touch newsletter, AusPAnet newsletter and
Global Physical Activity Network newsletter
. They are a great way to keep up-to-date with the latest physical activity news at a local, national and international level.
- Shape Up Australia – an initiative to help Australians reduce their waist measurements and improve their overall health and wellbeing. There are many everyday changes you can make to help you Shape Up and get on your way to a healthier lifestyle.