Local communities are an important setting for participation in physical activity. The creation of physical activity opportunities and interest groups that encourage friendship, motivation and support are important in initiating and maintaining participation in physical activity at all stages
You can start by getting to know your neighbours, going to local festivals, and having fun at parks and recreation centres in your local area.
Ideas for being active in your community:
- Try something new like dancing, yoga, salsa dancing, rock climbing, surfing, martial arts or rock climbing
- Do something active with friends like a walk at the beach and finish at a café
- Organise outings with your family that encourage you to walk around and be active such as bush walking, visiting the zoo, expos or historic sites, and bike riding
- Meet regularly with a friend or family member for a walk
- Take a picnic to the park
- Go for a swim at the beach or your local pool
- Join a local walking group
- Borrow an ARTBIKE and explore Hobart’s arts precincts and galleries using pedal power.
Useful places and organisations that can help you: